La Charit-sur-Loire is a commune in the Nièvre department, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region of eastern France. Its population is about 3,000 people. The town is located near the river Loire and is surrounded by hills. The commune has a long and storied history and many of its buildings are still in use today.
La Charit-sur-Loire’s tympanum relief is an example of the Cluniac tradition. The tympanum features two scenes from the life of Christ: Epiphany and Presentation in the Temple. Another depicts the Transfiguration, in which the Virgin Mary stands by the heavenly Jerusalem with her son.
The Priory of La Charit is located on the banks of the Loire, at the intersection of several important routes. The Priory has been a CCR since 2013. The Priory’s cultural project revolves around the concept of the Cite du Mot, a place that promotes words in all forms.
Sainte-Marie de la Charite-sur-Loire
Charité-sur-Loire is a commune located in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region of eastern France. Its population is approximately 2,700. Located in the Nièvre department, Charité-sur-Loire is surrounded by many woods and is home to a number of historic buildings.
The Abbey of La Charite sur Loire was founded in 1056. It was the “eldest daughter” of Cluny. Pascal II opened it in 1106. It was a Benedictine monastery founded during the reign of Charlemagne. During the French Revolution, the Benedictine abbey was taken over by the Huguenots. The nun Bernadette Soubirous died in the monastery’s Visitandine Convent.
The Transfiguration of Jesus is one of the most celebrated miracles in the Gospels. It is unusual in that Jesus performs the miracle himself, rather than having his disciples do it. Thomas Aquinas considered the Transfiguration “the greatest miracle of all.” It is also one of the five milestones in the gospel narrative of Jesus’ life. Pope John Paul II added the Transfiguration as one of the Luminous Mysteries to the rosary.
La Charit-sur-Loire is a city of arts and culture, and is home to a historic priory. It is a fascinating historical architectural ensemble. The priory was rebuilt after a great fire in 1559, which destroyed most of the priory’s buildings. The priory was constructed in three phases, starting with the garden of Benedictines and ending with the eighteenth-century halls. The cloister, with its galleries, is adjacent to the main gate.